Directors responsibility statement
Responsibility Statement under the Disclosure Guidance and Transparency Rules
Each of the directors whose names and functions are listed on pages Board of Directors confirm that to the best of their knowledge:
- The consolidated financial statements of EVRAZ plc, prepared in accordance with International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRSs) as adopted by the European Union, give a true and fair view of the assets, liabilities, financial position and profit or loss of the Company and the undertakings included in the consolidation taken as a whole (the “Group”);
- The annual report and accounts, including the Strategic Report, include a fair review of the development and performance of the business and the position of the Company and the Group, together with a description of the principal risks and uncertainties that they face.
Statement Under the UK Corporate Governance Code
The Board considers that the report and accounts taken as a whole, which incorporates the Strategic Report and Directors’ Report, is fair, balanced and understandable, and that it provides the information necessary for shareholders to assess the Company’s performance, business model and strategy.
Statement of Directors’ Responsibilities in Relation to the annual report and Financial Statements
The directors are responsible for preparing the annual report and the Group and parent company financial statements in accordance with applicable United Kingdom law and regulations. Company law requires the directors to prepare Group and parent company financial statements for each financial year. Under the law, the directors are required to prepare Group financial statements under IFRSs as adopted by the European Union and applicable law and have elected to prepare the parent company financial statements on the same basis.
Under the Companies Act 2006, the directors must not approve the Group and parent company financial statements unless they are satisfied that they give a true and fair view of the state of affairs of the Group and parent company and of the profit or loss of the Group and parent company for that period.
In preparing each of the Group and parent company financial statements, the directors are required to:
- Present fairly the financial position, financial performance and cash flows of the Group and parent company
- Select suitable accounting policies in accordance with IAS 8 (Accounting Policies, Changes in Accounting Estimates and Errors) and then apply them consistently
- Present information, including accounting policies, in a manner that provides relevant, reliable, comparable and understandable information
- Make judgements and estimates that are reasonable
- Provide additional disclosures when compliance with the specific requirements in IFRSs as adopted by the European Union is insufficient to enable users to understand the impact of particular transactions, other events and conditions on the Group’s and parent company’s financial position and financial performance and
- State that the Group and parent company financial statements have been prepared in accordance with IFRSs as adopted by the European Union, subject to any material departures discloses and explained in the financial statements
The directors are responsible for keeping adequate accounting records that are sufficient to show and explain the Group’s and parent company’s transactions and disclose with reasonable accuracy at any time the financial position of the Group and parent company and enable them to ensure that the financial statements comply with the Companies Act 2006 and, with respect to the Group financial statements, Article 4 of the IAS Regulation.
They are also responsible for safeguarding the assets of the Group and parent company and hence for taking reasonable steps for the prevention and detection of fraud and other irregularities.
The directors are also responsible for preparing the Strategic Report, the Directors’ Report, the Directors’ Remuneration Report and the Corporate Governance Report in accordance with the Companies Act 2006 and applicable regulations, including the requirements of the Listing Rules and the Disclosure Guidance and Transparency Rules of the United Kingdom Listing Authority. Legislation in the United Kingdom governing the preparation and dissemination of financial statements may differ from legislation in other jurisdictions.
By the order of the Board
27 February 2019